The law has evolved significantly since then to keep up with the changing requirements of health care. The sheer magnitude of rules has made HIPAA training a necessity if you wish to function within the guidelines of this Act. You can also get the best HIPAA compliance training through various online sources.
Image Source: Google
Following are the 6 vital areas that must be covered in any HIPAA training course.
• Affected Parties: First of all you must know the different parties that have to follow the HIPAA laws. It comprises all and everyone who has access to the personal information of the patients and includes covered entities like health care providers, insurance companies, and health insurance plans, as well the employees like physicians, nurses, dentists, human resource personnel, and the administrative staff.
• Protected Health Information (PHI): The HIPAA Privacy Rules revolve around the management of the various aspects related to PHI. A training course must tell you everything there is to know about the proper handling of PHI.
You should learn about the information covered under the PHI and the different circumstances in which the data can be disclosed and when it has to be kept private. In addition, you will understand the importance of proper authorization from the client when dealing with PHI.
• Data Security: Safeguarding data is another vital field that you must know, which will tell you about taking the necessary security measures and applying protocols when storing or transacting personal information.
Some examples are using passwords, encryption, and keeping files under lock and key. The laws cover all the data irrespective of whether they are in physical or electronic form.
• Penalties: HIPAA takes any kind of breach very seriously and will impose civil and even criminal penalties on the covered entities or employees if any violation is found.
The quantum of the penalties will depend on the nature and seriousness of the breach. During training, you will understand the various actions that violate the laws even when carried out unknowingly.
• Client Communication: HIPAA has given certain rights to the clients when it comes to their personal data. Accordingly, the client can ask for certain modifications to be made to their database, seek clarifications, and even complain about any matter.
Adequate training will help you to understand the concerns of your clients and respond to them in a timely and satisfactory manner. Remember that the client can approach a higher authority if their concerns are not addressed properly.